So you have finally decided to invest in your smile; good for you! You would, of course, want the results of your teeth whitening procedure to last. To do so, you should follow the dentist’s instructions on how to maintain a bright smile for a while, which includes your diet. So, what to eat after teeth whitening? We will tell you all about eating after professional whitening in this blog!
How Long After Teeth Whitening Can I Eat Normally?
When your dentist has just worked to professionally whiten your teeth, you have to stick to the ‘white diet’ to ensure discoloration is avoided at all costs. Therefore, you should refrain from consuming any foods or beverages that are colored and have a dark shade. You can, however, enjoy light-colored foods such as chicken, white sauce, cheese, potatoes, fish, bananas, and more. Once 48 hours have passed following your treatment, you can resume your normal diet.
The white diet is essential because initially, after the treatment, your teeth are somewhat porous, and the dentin layer is exposed for a short period. If your teeth come in contact with dark-colored and acidic foods, they are easily absorbed and may lead to discoloration.
Foods to Eat & Avoid After Teeth Whitening Procedure
You surely want to maintain the whiteness of your smile as long as possible. After all, who would mind having the perfect smile? While there are several ways to ensure your pearly whites remain as they are, there is a list of foods to eat and avoid to maximize the benefits of professional teeth whitening. Below, we will mention what an ideal diet should look like for a bright smile.
What to Include:
Here are some foods you should definitely have in your diet after a teeth whitening procedure:
- Rice & Pasta: If you are a lover of rice and pasta, we have good news for you: you can add these to your diet after teeth whitening.
- Fish: You can definitely opt for lightly colored fish as a meal once you’ve had a professional whitening procedure done on your teeth.
- Chicken & Turkey: Since chicken and turkey are light in color and free of acids, they are a good food option.
- Cheese: Do you enjoy having cheese? You will not have to restrict it in your white diet, as long as it is a white or lightly colored variety.
- Egg: Eggs are beneficial for you, and the good part is: you can eat egg whites after professional teeth whitening.
What to Avoid:
There are some foods to avoid after teeth whitening as well in order to avoid discoloration and other issues. These include:
- Coffee: If a sip of coffee is the first thing you want in the morning — we may have some bad news for you: coffee is a big no-no after teeth whitening. This is because it can cause significant discoloration and ruin your smile.
- Tea: It’s not only coffee but also tea that your porous dental enamel can absorb and stain your perfectly white teeth.
- Wine: Did you want to grab a glass of wine after hearing you can’t have coffee in order to prevent stains? Well, you might want to put the glass back down; wine can also stain your teeth. Hence, limit your wine intake to avoid stains on your teeth. While white wine might not stain teeth, it can still weaken the enamel as it contains acids.
- Sweets: When your teeth come in contact with sweets, it gets closer to decay as well as discoloration. Thus, avoid eating sweets after teeth whitening.
- Tobacco: Although tobacco is bad for your overall health, you should definitely avoid it after teeth whitening to prevent staining.
What Should I Do?
Once you have invested both your money and time in professional teeth whitening, don’t let it go down the drain by consuming foods that can cause discoloration. Hence, consult your dentist on what to eat after teeth whitening. At Gateway Family Dentistry, we make sure your teeth are in their best form and health. Visit us at 13029 Stockdale Hwy, # 100, Bakersfield, CA 93314, for effective treatments, or schedule an appointment at 661-829-7905.